Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
There is a statutory duty for the local
authority to produce a local offer for care leavers and review this
annually. Members agreement to the updated offer is sought as well
as hearing about the impact of the offer to date from care leavers
and how the House Project has improved outcomes for care
That Cabinet approves the revised care leaver offer to include:
1. a change in age for payment of council tax for all care leavers from the ages of 18-21 years to the ages 18-25 years old.
2. an increase to the age that a care leaver can claim a university bursary of £1000 up to the age of 25.
3. a winter fuel payment of £100 payable in November each year.
4. a counselling service to young people who wish to access their files should they wish to access this service (for any care leaver aged 18-25).
5. the purchase of a baby box for any eligible care leaver open to the Leaving Care Service who is a new parent including essential items such as nappies etc up to the cost of £50 for any care leaver aged 16-25.
6. the funding of a £200 flat rate payment to purchase essential items such as a cot, buggy, car seat for any eligible care leaver open to the service, aged 16-25, who is becoming a new parent.
Report author: Sharon Shaw
Publication date: 15/05/2020
Date of decision: 14/05/2020
Decided at meeting: 14/05/2020 - Cabinet